It has come to my attention that a large number of emails I wrote were never actually sent out. Long story short, it was due to technical issues with the network I was using. This includes emails to customers, suppliers, and even the Florida Department of Revenue. I’m sure you guys can imagine the crisis mode this has put me in, so I’ll leave it at that.
I have no idea how far back the issue goes or whose emails were included in those lost, and I sincerely apologize if you never received the email(s) I’ve sent. I’ll be reaching out to people as quickly as I can to check if anything was missed. I’ll also be starting up a new phone line so people can call me directly.
In addition to the phone line, I’m already in the process of making other changes to handle the huge amounts of work that I need to do to run Redpants. Its growth has far outpaced my ability to manage it and I’m making changes to manage that.
It’ll likely be a couple weeks before I finalize the changes, so please bear with me until then.
Thanks for understanding,
I was able to capture the email issue. Please read my blog post about it for information.